Friday, November 14, 2008

A word from SetFocus

Someone is reading my blog...I received an email from Stacey Uhrig the other day.

She was happy to hear that I'm writing about SetFocus, and I was happy to hear that she's reading my blog.

Here's what she said about the current focus of Setfocus :)

Things on our end are great!

We have grown in a stable fashion over the years.

Back in the day - when you first wrote about SetFocus we were training roughly 80-100 students a year in our 13 week program (.NET). Today we have 3 tracks (.NET, SQL Server, and MS Business Intelligence). We will be launching a 4th track in 2009, SharePoint.

Each quarter we are training on average 100 students - so around 400 / year. We continue to have strict admissions criteria on the front end and superior career services on the back end, helping individuals solidify positions all across the country.

One of the major factors in our growth / expansion is that we designed and implemented a proprietary online training solution, called The GRID, using Polycom Video Conferencing technology. This online solution, which we launched in 2005, allows for our students to train from anywhere in the country synchronously with local students. It also allows us to expand our instructor talent, as many of our instructors also teach remotely from their home base. This allows us to tap into the best of the best when it comes to instructors, and does not limit us to simply the tri-state area for expertise. Roughly 70% of our students are remote today. Many of our staff are also remote. It's wonderful not having geographic boundaries!

Back to me :)

The thing that always impressed me about SetFocus is their 'strict' admissions standards.

I can recommend a training program that doesn't take everyone. Do you remember the radio and television ads from training companies that promised they would have you trained and employed in 30 days?

SetFocus doesn't do that--they can afford to be picky, because their clients want the best.

So I continue to recommend them highly---and I'll be periodically blogging about the experiences of one of their students as they (no he or she here) goes through their program.

By the way, if you aren't admitted to SetFocus don't despair.

I am one of those other companies that will train you and help you get employed--but it won't take 30 days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I need to know what you meant by the last line that you are one of the companies that trains & employs in 30 days.

I would be interested if that is the case. I am looking for sql server training.

Let me know...

John Smiley said...

Actually, I didn't say that.

I was poking fun at companies that used to advertise on radio and TV that said they could train you and get you a job in 30 days.

Such things are just unrealistic.

By the way, I've received an update from the student I was following at Setfocus.

She has graduated, and is looking for a job.

I'm anxious to see how she does in today's economy.

I'll keep you posted.

Unknown said...

Any new on the student in this post and how she's done? I'm considering taking the SharePoint training at SetFocus and still trying to find input from people that have been there.

Anonymous said...

I took setfocus's contract option in their BI track. I have to say that the training was good, but in a few months after the training despite the best grades in the class - no job - not even a BI interview... I guess the only way to get a job after their training is to have experience doing what you are training for - but then why would you need them? I feel that as far as getting a job - their training did nothing for me.

John Smiley said...

I don't like to accept Anonymous postings like this, but the post hasn't had any in a while, and it's a worthwhile topic--although without details I can't comment on your abilities, credentials, or how you did in the program--but you do raise some issues.

I've got to tell you that the IT world isn't what it used to be---jobs are much harder to come by, especially for candidates with no real world experience.

SetFocus formerly accepted a limited number of candidates and would (and could) place them in paid internships at the end of the program---now things are different.

Let me ask you this question Anonymous---did you take and pass any of the Certification exams at the end of the program?

That should have helped you obtain a position---it's what I suggest for those starting out in the industry who don't have a Computer Science Degree.