Friday, November 14, 2008

Introducing Self Paced courses in my Internet school

This is the text of an email I just sent out to my Yahoo groups concerning new offerings in my Internet based courses...

In the past, all of my courses have begun on a set starting date, and ended (more or less) or a set finishing date. This has caused me to lose some potential students who are ready to take a course, but the course isn't ready to begin.

For instance, Introduction to Visual C# begins on January 26th, 2009.

I just sold a Visual C# book today to a student who might be interested in taking the course along with reading the book, but the course isn't starting for 2 months.

I've also had students who would like to fly through an 8 week course in a week or so--but in my traditional courses, I've opened up a week of material at the beginning of each week. In other words, In Week 1, you couldn't see the classroom material for Week 2 through 8.

For these reasons, I've created self-paced versions of all of my Introductory courses---they all begin---anytime you want.

Self Paced courses are really no different from my regular classes.


You still have an active instructor (me) who will answer your questions, grade your assignments.Self-paced classes follow the same syllabus as the Regularly Scheduled course.

In almost every way are identical to Regularly scheduled courses, with the following differences:


  • Self Paced courses can be started at any time---you don't have to wait around for the course to begin the way you do with a regularly scheduled course.
  • You have up to 90 days from the time you register to finish the Self Paced course (twist my arm and I'll give you even longer)
  • You can finish the Self Paced course at your own pace---faster or slower than the suggested pacing of the Regularly Scheduled course. All materials for the course are available from the first day you enter the classroom.
  • Self Paced courses do not have a 1 hour weekly chat--although you can always chat with me weekly in the Alumni Chat Room of my Moodle University, which is hosted on alternating Wednesday evenings or Saturday mornings.
  • Self Paced courses are offered at a $50 discount off the regularly scheduled course.
  • There is no repeat rate pricing for a Self-paced course.

Right now, all of the Intro courses I offer are now available as Self Paced Courses, and you can register and join anytime you wish by following this link...

http://www.johnsmiley.com/main/training.htm#SELFPACED

I hope to offer additional courses in the Intermediate and Advanced levels in the coming weeks.

Thanks---and have a great day!

No comments: