Friday, November 7, 2008

If people behaved outside of their cars the way they do behind the wheel

As some of you know, yesterday was a bad day for me--broken nose, headache, stitches, etc.

Today I ventured out with my lovely wife to our local diner, the Harvest Diner (a wonderful place by the way).

The Harvest Diner is located on Route 130 in Cinnaminson-Delran New Jersey.

Route 130 has a 45 mile per hour posted speed limit--the Harvest diner is about 1/2 mile past the traffic light near Walmart and the Post Office, which means when the traffic light turns green, by the time I approach the driveway entrance to the diner, moronic drivers are already passing me doing 70! Well, after all, it is New Jersey, and it is the killer road.

About 1000 feet shy of the driveway, I slowed down, put on my turn signal to give the car behind me plenty of notice, and made a quick right turn into the diner. When I say quick, I mean I turned into the diner at about 30 miles per hour to avoid being rear ended by the moron behind me, who then beeped his horn at me.

I must ask--why the horn? Do I not have a right to turn into the driveway? Most people my age (over 50) would have made that turn at 10 miles per hour, which is what I'll do from now on.

If the idiots on this road are going to beep at me, I'll give them a good reason to do so.

This reminds me of an old guy who used to drive a yellow Ford Pinto on Interstate 95 in the left lane at the posted speed limit of 55---just to anger the drivers behind him. I saw him once--it was beautiful. He also had some bumper stickers on the car---I forget exactly what they said.

Getting back to my point---drivers are rude, they really think they can do whatever they want (beep horns, tailgate, flip the finger).

Can you imagine if you were in a movie theater and people were bumping your behind to pass you, beeping horns or giving slow walkers the finger?

Well, maybe I should keep my mouth shut--it may be coming to that.

No comments: