Saturday, November 15, 2008

I'm too nice

My beautiful wife just got around to reading my posts about Le Bec Fin from 2000? 2002?

She thought my letter to George Perrier was too nice---she was probably correct.

My wife was the ultimate victim of the Le Bec Fin fiasco--the wait staff brought her a Thymus Gland (Sweetbread) instead of Veal. For those of you not familiar with that delicacy, it's not for everyone.

She complained to me right away---I tasted it and thought it was V-E-R-Y tender veal.

Eventually she found our waiter (there were 6 of them, a managerial problem I think) and he admitted the mistake.

He should have comp'd our $75 lunch---instead he offered us a complementary dessert (dessert was free).

From that point on, the phrase that many Philadelphians utter when they are getting a lousy meal took on a different meaning

"Where do you think you are, Le Bec Fin?"

No comments: