Saturday, November 29, 2008

New York Restaurants---

My wife and I visted New York City on Friday, November 28th , 2008 (Black Friday).

After seeing Arthur Miller's All My Sons, we had dinner at DaRosina, at 342 W. 46th Street (between 7th and 8th Avenues).

We walked down 46th Street shortly after buying our tickets around noon, and after reading the posted menu outside the restaurant, we went inside and made a reservation for 5PM, although the gentleman who took the reservation said we could come in earlier if we wanted to.

The show finished around 4:20, and it was only a 5 minute walk to the restaurant.

We entered around 4:30, told them we had a 5PM reservation, and without taking our name, seated us at a wall table for 2.

We were quickly waited on.

We both elected the Pri Fixe dinner option.

For $28, a choice of appetizer, soup, or salad, an entree, a dessert and coffee or tea.

I selected the Striped Bass, my wife selected Veal Parmigiana.

We both had Caesar Salad (neither a large one, nor a great tasting one).

I had 2 Budweisers ($5 each), my wife had Chaddonna Terri di Chi ($8 per glass).

My Striped Bass came with 2 clam shells, 2 shrimp and pasta in a light tomato sauce that was delicious. It very much reminded me of the Italian meals we enjoyed in Venice---very delicious and light.

My wife enjoyed her Veal.

For dessert, I had chocolate Gilato and a coffee (actually 2), my wife had a Raspberry Tart with Espresso. The Gilato reminded me of the fine Gilato I enjoyed in Rome. I tasted the Raspberry Tart---I would have been disappointed had I ordered it.

Total bill was $88.87. I left a tip of $13.13, to bring the total to $102.00.

We both used the restroom---there were two adjoining restrooms in the back.

My wife used the one on the right, I used the one on the left which should have been marked out-of-order as someone had broken the flush handle, and it was no longer flushable (sorry :)

We left around 5:30 and the place was packed.

All in all, the restaurant was excellent, but my wife felt a candle on the table with dimmed lighting would have been a nice touch.

No comments: