Friday, November 14, 2008

Saladworks Huntingdon Valley vs Saladworks Delran NJ

I'm happy to report that Saladworks of Huntingdon Valley is still using the larger Saladworks takeout bowl that had been in use at my regular Delran location. I picked up a BLT salad last night on the way home from teaching at Penn State.


Here's the Huntingdon Valley bowl with the salad in it...




and here's the empty Huntingdon Valley bowl...






You may recall that I measured the size of the 'diet' portion Delran bowl the other night by pouring water into it---it held 20 ounces when filled to the brim.



I did the same with this Huntingdon Valley orange bowl--the results?


When filled to the brim it held 40 ounces of water (double the 'diet' portion at Delran.)


My wife pointed out that we never got salads filled to the brim (I thought we did).


However, if filled to where the indentations in the bowl stop---about three-quarters of the way up, where most consumers would expect their bowl to be filled to, it held 28 ounces.

I would say that it's been my experience that most times my salads are filled a bit over that line--so let's say to the 30 ounce fluid level mark.


You do the math--that's a 10 ounce difference.

Let's put those side by side so you can see the difference...Huntingdon Pike 40 ounce bowl on the left, Delran NJ 20 ounce bowl on the right...



My informal experiment therefore leads me to believe that I'm now only getting about 2/3's the amount of salad I was previously getting at my Delran Saladworks.


The bottom line---the customer is being shortchanged in Delran NJ.

By the way, if you have the patience (and Adobe Acrobat reader) check out the Delran NJ Saladworks menu link here, and the picture of the salads (filled to the brim in older style brown bowls)

http://www.saladworks.com/pdfs/menu/Delran.pdf


I guess I'll need to fire off a letter to Saladworks today.

8 comments:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is so good......

John Smiley said...

I wouldn't say that...I've been blogging since January 1st, 1970, and you're only the 2nd person to comment...but thanks anyway!

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know that the Salad Works in the Cherry Hill Mall also uses the smaller bowls like Delran.

John Smiley said...

Thanks anonymous...

I just got word that the Moorestown mall is still using the older style bowl.

Unknown said...

Just an FYI...all the Saladworks are switching to these bowls. I work in one also in NJ. And, we also put the salads on the scales to test them. I am not biased because I only work there, not manage or own it. The salads were identical in weight.

Unknown said...

Just an FYI...I work at Saladworks in NJ. I do not manage or own so I am not biased. All Saladworks will be using these bowls because Saladworks is switching to them. Also, we ran both salads in our store on a scale. We purchased the salad from another local saladworks so it wouldn't be biased. Both were the same weight. The portions are still the same.

John Smiley said...

Hi Robyn

Thanks for your comments---I appreciate them!

I agree that in theory the salad weights of the old and new bowls can be the same---particularly since the salads are first made in a regular bowl that is kept at the store.

However, the first time I received a salad in the new bowl, the 'salad maker' remarked that he/she was overflowing the new bowl, and seemed to fill that regular bowl to about 2/3's the capacity that he/she usually did.

Perhaps this will all turn out right in the end--maybe it was just a mistake on his/her part.

This much I know---I will be watching them like a hawk to make sure I get my 6 of 7 dollars worth of lettuce.

Anonymous said...

Great information if you ask me. Thanks for enlightning that info.

Greg Writeman
portable wifi jammer