Thursday, November 6, 2008

Home accidents and my broken nose

Home accidents kill, hurt and paralyze more people than you realize.

This morning, around 6:30AM, I went into our upstairs hall bathroom to shower. I noticed our 20 pound dog (Madison) resting at the top of the steps.

When I exited the shower 10 minutes later, I didn't see the dog, but almost immediately stepped on her, she screamed and in my efforts not to hurt her, I vaulted forward into the edge of a wooden cabinet we have in the upstairs hallway.

I felt (and heard) my nose break---I remember 3 distinct crunches.

Blood started spewing from my nose---and I remember feeling for my teeth. No damage there.

After my wife administered some excellent first aid (towel to the face, ice, etc) I was transported to the Cooper University Emergency Room.

Everyone there was very nice, and after an hour and a half, two Plastic Surgeon doctors did their best to stitch the inside and outside of my nose, and assured me that some time soon I will once again look like my picture. We'll see about that.

Right now, I can't breath---and there's an occasional drop of blood from my left nostril (more detail than you need).

I decided to cancel my Penn State class this evening---I can't really talk that well, and they would probably laugh at me anyway.

My daughter Melissa, upon seeing me an hour ago, laughed and said "that sucks".

She also requested that I not pick her up from Soccer practice tonight as it looks like I got beat up (I will anyway---it will be dark, so I shouldn't embarrass her too much).

Next week sometime I need to have a followup visit with the Plastic Surgeons.

Once again, many thanks to everyone who assisted me--most especially to my beautiful wife who lovingly applied an ice pack to my broken nose, and sat with me few 3 hours in the ER.

Names I have...

Donna, the ambulance attendant.
Dianah, the triage person (nurse, doctor, I'm not sure).
Anthony Guzman, the ER nurse, who told me to tell people that the 3 guys who tried to beat me up look much worse than I do.
Dr. Ward, the ER Doctor
The 2 Plastic Surgeon Doctors (don't know their names)
The Medical Student who looks like Leonard DiCaprio.

By the way, the dog seems to be fine---I was really worried that I may have hurt her when I stepped on her, but she is bounding throughout the house without a care in the world.

We will need to monitor her.

No comments: