Thursday, November 13, 2008

OK, I feel bad

As you know, my C++ eBook is the most frequently downloaded C++ book in the world! Illegally, of course---I sell my eBook for $12.95---well, once in a while I do. For the most part, it's being stolen each and every minute of the day.

A few weeks ago I noticed that I was getting a lot of page views for an article I wrote which describes how to download and install the Borland C++ compiler, which happens to be the compiler I use in the book. The link to a .pdf is one I reference in the book. Hmmm, I was beginning to see a pattern.

I then decided to password protect the .pdf, and to place some kind of shameful plea on my website and ask people to contact me if they really needed directions, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I just received this email from a reader (he didn't buy the book from me...) I feel a bit guilty...he's a soldier, defending our country in Iraq, and he just made a $5 donation---I would have given it to him for free :)

Mr. Smiley,

My name is (name withheld).. I am a Student at DeVry University, and currently deployed to Iraq with the Army.

I am writing you for 2 reasons really.

First is to say that I am currently reading your book,"Learn to Program With C++", and I really enjoy the context in which you present this learning atmosphere.

The second reason for my writing is I am trying to install the Borland C++ compiler that you stated in your book. However, when I went to the article. It was password protected.

I paid five dollars to the Amazon Honor System, thinking it would give a password, but to no avail.

If you are not too busy, is here any way I can get that pdf so I can continue enjoying your book?

I appreciate all of your help.

Sincerely, Name Withheld

Here is my response...

Hi Derik

I'm sorry about that.

My C++ book is being illegally distributed on the Internet via FileSharing websites, and I haven't been able to stop it.

I don't charge much for eBooks ($12.95) which most people can probably afford---those who can't I will gladly give it to for free.

I'm not sure where you got it, but you probably downloaded it believing it was from the author. That's OK.

Thanks so much for the donation---I had forgotten about theAmazon.com Honor account---it looks like there's $8.08 in it.

I'll be glad to provide you the password---it's

some password I won't reveal here :)

By the way, thanks for defending our country---I and my family appreciate it.

If you ever want to take an online class with me, my classes are freeto active military personnel, and that's certainly you.

Right now, I have 1 soldier in Iraq, another in Afghanistan.

I know it's tough to study over there, and taking an Internet classcan be tricky with the Internet connections, but please consider it.

Please let me know how you make out with your studies---C++ is a tough first language to learn, but my book does a pretty good job helping you to learn on your own.

Have a safe day!

Keep in touch.

John Smiley

No comments: