Monday, November 17, 2008

Sending Email through Oracle

I spent some time this morning trying to send email via an Oracle PL/SQL program---still trying to get it to work.

At the moment, I'm receiving an ORA-29729 error when I execue the UTL_MAIL.SEND statement---Unable to relay mail for xyz@xyz.com

Probably a permission thing.

2008-12-01 Update

Indeed, that's exactly what it was---I needed to contact the server administrator to have some permission set for SMTP. By the way, here's the single line of code I execute from a script to send an email (or text message) to myself to let me know that a script has completed...

EXECUTE UTL_MAIL.SEND('JSMILEY', '5551112222@txt.att.net', NULL, NULL, 'SCRIPT 123-XYZ-IS-DONE', NULL);

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These days most SMTP servers do not allow the open relay of mail messages in order to prevent spamming.
According to the error message, I suppose that you are not authorized to relay messages on the mail server you are using.
Depending on the configuration, it might be possible to add the IP address of the Oracle server on a "white list" on the mail server to get relay access.

John Smiley said...

Hi decoding

Thanks for your advice---that appears to be the case.

I was able to successfully send email on one of my servers using

UTL_MAIL.SEND

However, on the second server, it appears that the Mail Administrator is blocking email.

Working on solving that issue now.