Thursday, December 11, 2008

Risky Times ahead for Baby Boomers---embrace technology

I was just reading this Internet article by Robert Powell of Marktwatch entitled

Risky times ahead
Baby boomers face three new risks in coming decades, but there are answers

http://tinyurl.com/5hkn59

In it, he cites research done by AARP, among others, in which...

According to the report, the laundry list of risks include: "A rapidly deteriorating environment, shifts in global economic power, the decline of legacy institutions that [boomers] have both opposed and worked within, the meteoric advance of technologies that confer advantage on the youngest members of society, and perhaps even the loss of faith in science as the basis for a rational society."

Since I am a technologist, and recently blogged about Michael Smerconish and his reluctance to use Facebook, I suggest that we concentrate on the statement: the meteoric advance of technologist that confer advantage on the youngest members of society.

I would suggest that boomers develop technology skills to negate that advantage.

It's been my observation that although younger members of society seem to use technology more than older members (ie PC's, Cell Phones, Facebook, Twitter, etc), their use of it is much less efficient than older members who finally get around to it.

It's a rare young person I find who sees the potential that technology can offer financially, career wise, quality of life wise. Older people tend to see these things immediately, once they embrace the technology.

I'm beginning to sense that I have a potential audience of boomers who will need my help to learn Facebook, Twitter, Tinyurl, etc.

No comments: