Sunday, December 7, 2008

Outback Cherry Hill---Saturday, December 6, 2008

I've got to tell you that it's a rare occasion indeed when I go to my favorite restaurant and am not very pleased with the experience, but Saturday, December 6th was one of them.

For those of you who don't know, we visit Outback in Cherry Hill just about every single week.

It started out well as both my wife and I were greeted by the very friendly staff (Arlene, et al) when we entered. We had called ahead for 9:15PM and arrived around 9:17.

The place was pretty crowded.

The restaurant has undergone some physical changes in the last few weeks, and some booths have been eliminated in favor of high top chairs and stools (something I don't like), so we had requested a booth at call ahead time.

We were seated at Meghan C's section, and my wife was looking forward to the stuffed shrimp that we had been told, for the last few weeks, that it would be on the menu starting December 4th. Guess what? It wasn't there.

I guess it wasn't fair to Meghan that we immediately expressed our displeasure.

I don't recall having her as a waitress before--she probably thought we were playing the free meal or discount meal game---we weren't.

We told her to send a manager over so we could complain---none ever showed up.

My wife said she was disappointed that no stuffed shrimp was on the menu. We gave Meghan our drink orders and she said she would check on the stuffed shrimp.

When she returned with the drinks, she said that the stuffed shrimp was a regional dish, and that they didn't have it. She didn't offer anything after that. I figured we would get a good explanation when the manager arrived (he NEVER did).

My wife decided on Alice Springs Chicken (for the 33rd consecutive time).

I began to order the 9 ounce Atlantic Salmon when Meghan said they no longer had the 9 ounce version---only the 7.

Are you kidding? A 7 ounce salmon slice?

Wow, someone else deciding my portion sizes. (I'm 6 foot 1, 158 pounds, I really don't need a dietitian deciding my portions).

Meghan did say that although the portion size was reduced, so was the price? Huh? I don't care what I pay for my salmon, I want something that will fill me...I don't do the 3,000 calorie 'appetizer' thing.

Again, I asked for a manager---Meghan told me 'Jack' would come over to see us. I suspect at this point that Meghan just thought we were troublemakers---at any rate, the manager never showed. I opted for the 14 ounce Rib eye (not a healthy choice, Mr. or Ms. Dietitian) with a baked potato. I would have preferred the 9 ounce salmon that is no longer offered.

My wife and I left a generous 15% tip---something I regretted on Sunday morning because my request to see a manager was never honored.

I've seen the 'game' played in this restaurant many times---and those who play it have no trouble getting a manager to fawn all over them.

As time permits, I'll be sending a letter to the Corporate office.

No comments: