Saturday, December 13, 2008

Online Condolences

I just posted an online condolence in a Philadelphia Daily News/Inquirer obituary Guest Book.

My wife and I will be sending a sympathy card later.

Interestingly, after posting it, a message appeared that it would be reviewed for 'correct posting guidelines' and should appear in a few hours.

At a tech person, I know that this isn't going to be done by a real person--we know that newspapers are in trouble, constantly folding, so I'm sure the last thing a newspaper will do is hire someone to ensure that no one is posting inappropriate messages in Guest Book entries.

Perhaps it's software that does that--but if it is, why isn't it done at the time of posting.

The delay has me wondering.

Maybe one of the two people who regularly read my blog has an idea.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'm sure the Department in charge of updating the website maintains the guestbook posts. It's probably a simple process like You comment > Form emails to Newspaper > Someone reads comment > Someone approves or declines comment. & tada!

You would think someone would skim through the article comments though... Philly Burbs+anything about Willingboro = racist or derogatory comments.

Where's the censorship there?