Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Broken Nose update, December 23, 2008

I see that people have been directed to my blog by searching for information about broken noses.

One query that was generated this morning, and which resulted in a hit to my blog, was how to get swelling down from a broken nose.

Interestingly, the first thing I asked for when my wife asked if there was anything she could do for me as I bled on my upstairs hallway rug was ICE. I've had injuries before (not to my nose) and I know that ice is very good.

Even more interestingly, first responders and emergency room personnel never gave me any ice at all for my nose.

They told me that the swelling would go down in 6 weeks (which is for the most part true) and my plastic surgeon said a full recovery would take about 6 months.

My nose still hurts (the bony part anyway that was broken) and is numb (the area where it was stitched).

In short, if you have a broken nose and want to the swelling to go down, I would ice it for 24 hours, and after that, you're pretty much at the mercy of your own healing time.

No comments: