Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cemeteries

It must be that time of year that causes me to think of deceased loved ones.

I blogged the other day about Lakeview Cemetery in Cinnaminson that is in the midst of a controversy over graveside remembrances.

The Lakeview community is lucky in some regards---they're getting a response from someone at the cemetery.

I've visited cemeteries looking for the graves of loved ones where there is no office, or the office is always closed when I visited. Phone calls go to voicemail.

For instance, I've been trying for years to find where my English grandfather is buried in St. Dominics in Holmesburg. I don't want anyone to think I've spent hours and hours on this. When I've stopped by to visit my wife's parents, I've gone to the office and it's always been closed. I've called, and left a message, but got no return call.

Last March I went for a physical at my Doctor's office who happens to be very near Whitemarsh Cemetery. I thought I would call ahead of time to find out where my wife's grandmother is buried. I think my Uncle Francis is also there. But I couldn't find a number for the cemetery, and when I drove by, I couldn't find a caretakers building or an office so I gave up.

If I had time, which I don't, I'd like to set up a Web site that has information on Cemeteries, along with the deceased that are buried there.

I know there are some informal sites that do that---I'll revisit the topic sometime in the future and build a list of them here...

.
.
.

I think one of the worst things we can do to our deceased loved ones is to forget them.

No comments: