Friday, January 15, 2010

Father Tom Hagen---Hands Together

I just spent a few minutes writing about Father Mike Figler, and I decided I needed to write about another priest, Father Tom Hagen, OSFS, an oblate priest of St. Francis Desales.

I first met Father Hagen when I attended Northeast Catholic High School. He was a young, energetic, very devout and holy priest.

I graduated, moved on with my life and about 30 years later (probably about 2003), I was in a pew at Church listening to someone talk about an organization called Hands Together

http://www.handstogether.org/

which does charity work in Haiti. The organization was founded by Father Tom Hagen, OSFS in 1986.

I remember going on the Internet, checking out the organization, and marvelling at everything this man had done.

Haiti, one of the poorest countries on earth, is also pretty dangerous, and the stories I read about Father Tom and his organization were unbelievable.

I believe I either mailed a check or clicked on a Credit Card link to send some money---and from time to time, when someone mentioned Haiti, I probably said I know someone doing charitable work there, but like everything, you tend to take these things for granted---until Monday, January 11th, when the earthquake hit.

I immediately thought of Father Tom and wondered and was worried about his safety.

I was hoping that Hands Together would provide me some information about Father Tom---I must admit, I never called them, but I was hoping their website would have something on it. It didn't. I also know that at any given time they have a group of volunteers in the country---no word on them either.

However, yesterday, my internet radar found a link that indicates that he's alive and well--but that the country, and his mission, face tremendous challenges ahead.

Today, Hands Together did have a status report on the group---2 seminarians had been killed, and the chief-of-staff's daughter was also killed. Father Tom is headed back to the United States---undoubtedly, he'll be going back to Haiti sometime.

In trying to find word on Father Tom, I came upon a large number of postings which made me marvel even more at his vocation, passion, and real courage. This man--this priest---is the Mother Theresa of Haiti. I pray for his health and safety.

Again, here is the link for Hands Together...

http://www.handstogether.org/

Here's a video that shows some of the work being done. Not be forgotten in all of the work is Executive Director Doug Campbell.

http://www.handstogether.org/video

Here's a link that gives you an idea of the struggles the organization faces each day...

http://www.handstogether.org/news/

I have a feeling I'll be writing more about Father Hagen, Doug Campbell, and Hands Together.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

A couple of years ago, Fr. Tom came to my parish, Our Lady of the Assumption, in Carmichael, CA looking for resources to support his work in Haiti. The parish was very moved by Fr. Tom's stories and gave very generously. When I first heard about the earthquake, I immediately thought of him and prayed for his safety. This morning at Mass, our pastor told us that Fr. Tom was safe and I'm sure that there was a collective sigh of relief. I know that we will be prepared to support his efforts as he regroups. May God continue to bless Fr. Tom!

Lee Meadows

Fred Brown said...

Thank you for writing this blog about Father Tom, Doug Campbell and Hands Together. I attended Lafayette College when Father Tom was the College Priest. While I'm not Catholic, I got to know him pretty well. He brought community service to a campus that at the time was not focus on too much other than partying and studying. He often went against the administration's wishes but I feel Lafayette and esp. the students are better because of his work there.

I'm very happy to hear he is safe. Back in 2004, he visited the campus for the class of 1989 15th reunion and attended a special ceremony for our classmate Rick Thorpe, who was killed during the 9/11 attacks. Knowing he was coming, we had our best attendance ever at Reunion.

Keep up the good work.

Fred Brown

John Smiley said...

Lee and Fred

Thank you very much for your comments.

Both of you validate what I already know about Father Tom--and Doug Campbell--are truly saints on earth.

Fred, I'm sorry to hear about your classmate Rick Thorpe.

Unknown said...

John,

Thank you for your post on Father Tom Hagen and his good works. I'm glad to hear of someone who is doing such much needed work alleviating suffering in such a desperately poor country.

Terry Louie

Unknown said...

Just went to mass at St. Mary's in Los gatos. Fr. Tom Hagen took over the space with his preaching about finding our little piece of heaven here on this earth. The man is godly and inspired the lot of us. I have lost almost all that I held dear to me: my home, my marriage, my job and more. But he reminded me of what I have always known to be true. This man stands for something, and directly confronts a society that tries to dupe us into thinking all the wrong things in life are important.

His work in Haiti is saintly. I thank God I got to hear him speak tonight. And I almost forgot to go to mass tonight.