Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why can't people be quiet at the movies?

I know it's a lot to ask for people to be quiet at the movies--especially in these days where it just doesn't seem to be a priority.

My wife and I went to the movies last night and were surrounded by a bunch of rude, noisy people who obviously don't know anyone else exists.

The man in front of us had some soft of nasal problem and 'sniffed' the entire movie,

The people to our left brought in a bunch of individually wrapped caramel candies and opened them (and played with the papers) the entire time.

The people behind us (sitting in a handicapped seat) banged by seat occasionally, then ate from and shook their popcorn bag the entire movie.

A girl in the front row carried on a running conversation for the last 20 minutes on her cell phone.

Perhaps they should have a 'quiet' section in the theater, or a noise free showing.

2 comments:

Sara said...

If you can't get up during the movie to tell a manager to come check out the noise (without making you look suspicious), you should be able to complain to the manager that there are inconsiderate and noisy people in there and you would like a ticket to view the movie another day... they should either give you a free general ticket, get you into the next show, or reimburse you.

I'm not aware of which theater you visited, but Loews in Cherry Hill I never have issues with. :)

John Smiley said...

My wife and I generally go to the Ritz in Vorhees.

We used to go the Ritz in Cherry Hill, but haven't been there since a fist fight broke out in the row ahead of us.

As far as finding a manager, I just hate to waste the time to get up and find a manager to file a complaint. I did that once at Loews for a crying baby---it worked, but I missed a lot of the movie.

It's bad enough I've had to do this when there's a projector problem.

In a movie theater, there's no rewind button, so if I have to get up to complain, I'm missing a significant portion of the movie.

Perhaps the theater could provide a phone number for the manager and I could text a complaint about the noisy patrons while the movie is playing.

Of course, you're also not supposed to be texting while the movie is running.

In the old days, movie theaters had ushers who patrolled the theater looking for trouble makers.