Saturday, June 27, 2009

Letters to the Editor---Aggressive Driving

Saw this one on Sunday, June 21st in the Burlington County Times and was much amused. It's written by Noni Bookbinder Bell of Shamong.

I am constantly tailgated on Branch Pike in Cinnaminson while doing the 35 MPH posted speed limit as I head towards Moorestown. There's a good reason for that speed limit. It's a residential area, there's one school (St. Charles) on the road, and another one (Cinnaminson Middle School) just to the right.

By the way, what do you do if you are tailgated by a police car? Several months ago my wife and I were tailgated by a police car on Church Road headed towards Route 38. It's a 25MPH zone, and the police car was about 5 feet from our bumper. What's a person to do?

At any rate, here's Nono's letter.

Aggressive driving comes back to haunt

While driving down Bear Head-McKendimaen Road in Medford (as usual doing the speed limt), the driver of a big SUV began aggressively tailgating my tiny car. I double-checked that I was not driving under the 30-mph speed limit.

Just minutes before, on another Medford Road, another SUV had been riding my tail as I tooled along at the speed limit. I wondered, as I drive, "Why am I obligated to speed and why do I have to endure these antagonistic morons putting my life and others' in danger?" At this time of year, deer, small animals and --- oh yes --- children can run out suddenly into local residential streets and roads.

Obviously, it's important to be on guard for them, not to mention (for) distracted and careless drivers. I would think that's why lower speed limits are imposed on such roads.

After a minute or two of impatiently riding my tail (close enough to see the whites of his eyes) the driver sped up and blew past me.

In doing so, he just missed a head-on crash with a fully dressed (motorcycle) coming the other way.

At first, I just gaped at the averted tragedy. Next, I had to smile when I realized this was a motorcycle cop.

After the copy made an expert U-turn, the red and blue lights began to flash. I rounded a curve in the road, still chugging along at 30 mph. There, I observed the young man in the SUV pulled over and reaching for his credentials.

Sorry about the Schadenfreude, but I couldn't help gloating as I saw the office approaching the driver. The driver looked about the same age as the 19-year-old who caused my head-on crash in March.

Most of the days since then, when I am on the road driving the speed limit, I am returning from a medical appointment or a physical therapy session.

There's isn't too much else I can do since I was injured when that kid ran a stop sign on Route 306 on the icy night when all hell broke loose.

This is for the cop who pulled that aggressive driver over yesterday: Thanks.

I'm glad he didn't plow into you as he was whipping past me in annoyance.

Perhaps next time, that young driver may think twice before he lets his impatience and arrogance take over the wheel.

Noni Bookbinder Bell
Shamong

No comments: