Monday, January 29, 2001

Developer Career Tip #0034---Job Interview Practice

Developer Career Tips #0034

Job Interview Practice

A few weeks ago, one of my students was preparing for a job interview for a Visual Basic programming job, and asked me for some advice. I had some free time, and so I spent about a half hour with him conducting a simulated job interview. Last week I saw him again and he said that the interview I had conducted with him was right on the mark. This didn’t surprise me, as I've conducted many real interviews like that in my career. While I would love to be able to conduct these same simulated interviews with all of my students, time doesn't permit it. I recently came upon the next best thing---a web site that can help you prepare for that upcoming job interview called Job-Interview.net

http://www.job-interview.net/

This site features mostly free information, and includes mock interviews for a variety of jobs, interview tips, interview do's and don'ts, job interview questions and answers, and links to other good sites. I found this link on their site

http://www.job-interview.net/Bank/Qit.htm

to be particularly useful for first time IT job seekers. Most IT job seekers have the skills to get the job they're seeking--what they lack is the perspective of the 'big picture' that employers seek. This link can help prevent the typical derailment that occurs when a job interviewer asks the novice programmer about Systems Development--not programmer specific questions. For instance, describe the Systems Development Life Cycle (something most of them have never heard of), or discuss the role of the user in the development of a new Visual Basic application.

In the next few months or so, I hope to develop a list of questions that prospective Visual Basic programmers have been asked during a job interview. I welcome your contributions---if you'd like to contribute, please send me an email to johnsmiley@johnsmiley.com

No comments: