Monday, July 3, 2000

Developer Career Tip #0006---Interview Tip #1---Be sure to ask a question!

Developer Career Tips #0006

Interview Tip #1---Be sure to ask a question!

I'm frequently asked, by my readers and students strategies for answering questions during a job interview. There's no doubt that your ability to 'show your stuff' during a job interview is crucial to landing a programming job.

I'll be covering strategies for answering questions in future articles, but today I want to discuss what I think plagues more job candidates than any other single issue--failing to ask a question during the interview.

Not only do I teach and write books, I also own my own consulting firm, and although I do most of my own work, on occasion I do hire someone to help out during busy periods---usually from a pool of candidate students provided to me by my University's Co-Operative Education program.

These students are highly recommended by the Chairman of the Computer Science Department, extremely motivated, and choosing among two or three candidates can be very difficult.

So how do I make my choice?

That's easy---I pick the candidate who asks me the best questions!

Asks questions? Isn't it the interviewer who should be asking the questions, not the job candidate?

Many job seekers are of the mistaken impression that the role of the candidate is to answer questions during the interview. From the interviewer's perspective, however, you can't imagine the poor image that is conveyed of a job candidate who sits through the interview, and politely (and quite skillfully) answers each and every question, and then when asked if they have any questions, simply say 'no' as if they are anxious to leave!

Taking the time to ask a question or two during the interview shows the interviewer that you are enthusiastic and genuinely interested in the position and the company, and that you can not only answer questions posed of you but that you can initiate and carry on a conversation (a skill that is crucial when talking with end users). In short, taking the time to ask a question or two can land you the job!

Another benefit is that it gives you the chance to seek clarification on the job itself, the types of duties that will be required of you, and to learn more about the company and the people with whom you will work. These are questions to which you want answers before you show up for work the first day.

Next time: Questions to ask before saying "Yes, I'll take the job"

No comments: