Friday, January 29, 2010

Malware Update---January 28, 2010

I thought I had fixed my problems on Wednesday, January 27th, but it turns it I didn't.

My PC refused to shutdown gracefully, and each time I fired up Windows, I received error messages indicating that I had a problem with

AXWin Frame

and this one...

To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this...

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Just about as soon as this occurred, all other windows had problems---and Task Manager failed to load.

A graceful shutdown was impossible.

Furthermore, booting into Safemode was also impossible. I would freeze on MUP.SYS

I used another computer to search the Internet for help, and it suggested that I download and run a program called

COMBOFIX

which I did. It took about an hour to download, install and run, and after several planned shutdowns and reboots (the first shutdown failed, so I had to power off), it told me that my ATAPI.SYS device driver was corrupted, and that it had fixed it.

1 hour later, I was able to fire up Windows (without any error messages) and I've been running continuously for the last day.

I'm just about finished performing a massive backup, and at some point today, I'm going to shutdown and restart in Safemode--after which I'll run Malwarebytes and my Symantec Anitvirus scan.

A former student of mine, David Turner, has also emailed me with some very detailed instructions to ensure that I'm finally free of this malware.

The name sounds like a nuisance, but it's far from that---it's a real pain in the ***

No comments: