Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mothers---please put down that cell phone

This applies equally to mothers and fathers---I've just been noticing it a lot lately with young mothers.

My problem?

Mothers with cell phones plastered to their ears, yakking away to anyone and everyone, while feeding their babies or young children, walking them in a baby carriage, playing with them on a swing---well you get the idea.

My wife and I were eating out a few nights ago when a young mother holding an 18 month old baby walked in, with the cell phone against her ear. She removed the baby's coat, sat her in a baby seat, ordered for both of them, ate an appetizer, all the time talking on the phone. The baby, by the way, choked on a piece of the appetizer---I thought I would need to 'Heimlich' the baby as the mother wasn't noticing because of her conversation.

This isn't an isolated event. I've seen this more and more with cell phone.

You wouldn't go out to dinner with a friend and treat them like this (well, I must say I've seen some adults do this as well). It's rude.

Children aren't dogs---they need interaction, eye contact, conversation in order to grow into normal adults. An 18 month old child can be a source of great entertainment---try talking with her instead of your friend (if he was that important to you, you should have asked him along.)

I shudder to think what these children are going to do to get the attention of a parent who obviously doesn't think their undivided attention is that important.

No comments: